[OSGeo-UK] Bin packing problem

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 06:40:06 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Antony Scott
<Antony.Scott at sustain.co.uk> wrote:
> Barry, Matthew
>
> Thanks - roofs are any shape - with dormers, rooflights, chimney stacks...

 Unfortunately shipping containers and Amazon packing boxes are nice
clean rectangles, so I imagine most of the research in this has gone
that way!

> Maybe we should design a Tetris-style interface and crowd-source it? ;-)

 I might try and implement this as a Qgis plugin - I've got an
application in with Carson Farmer to do some Qgis teaching, and if it
gets the green light it would make a neat example for plugin
development.

Barry