[OSGeo-UK] Thanks from OSGIS Team and see you at FOSS4G Europe 2015

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 02:13:41 PDT 2014

Hi all,

It was great to see many of you last week at OSGIS 2014 and thank you to all presenters, workshop organisers and participants. We have recorded the presentations and we will be making them available for the benefit of the wider community soon at http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/osgis/home.aspx

There is also some good developments for expanding OSGeo:UK chapter activities  for the next year (i will leave it to Ian and Jo to inform all).

As i mentioned, in the chapter meeting OSGIS has achieved the key aims for which it was started seven years back

(1)    build up OSGeo:UK chapter activities

(2)    establish strong foundations for Open Geospatial Science

We  were also able to build the momentum from OSGIS to host the very successful FOSS4G 2013 in Nottingham last year.

Now, it is time to think of new ideas and my humble suggestion is that from next year we support and make use of FOSS4G Europe for expanding our activities .So we won't be running OSGIS 2015 but supporting FOSS4G Europe. I believe with the establishment of FOSS4G Europe, it offers the right platform to expand ideas for building up Open Geospatial Science across Europe.

Also, one other suggestion i have that i forgot to mention in the meeting was to have  OSGeo:UK chapter to sponsor OSGeo Live DVDs to UK universities running GIS programs. If Ian or anyone else can arrange this, it will be very helpful and we can setup a system for staff to just send an email with their requirements (no of students, courses etc they are planning to run) and we can send them the OSGeo Live DVDs. That will be a good impact for widening OSGeo in education in the UK.

Once again, many thanks to all of you and also to my colleagues at the University of Nottingham for the support you all provided me from the very start of OSGIS and i am happy to see the successful outcomes. Looking forward to see you at FOSS4G-Europe 2015.

Best wishes,

Suchith

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.