[OSGeo-UK] OSGeo:UK local chapter update

Ross McDonald ross at mixedbredie.net
Tue Sep 16 02:28:49 PDT 2014

Morning morning

I certainly see myself as part of OSGeo (UK) and I am sure Simon and Matt and others would too.  Quite what that means for OSGeo (UK) I am not sure but I like to think that the UK QGIS user group contributes to raising the awareness of FOSS4G and OSGeo.  If it doesn't then we can make amends.  The PostGIS day in Edinburgh in November (the 19th, ESRI's GISday) will be under the OSGeo banner but will be all about PostGIS.

The QGIS user group came into being out of a demand in a number of local authorities for a replacement desktop GIS application and the subsequent need for a support and development community.  But as QGIS is really just a front end to the whole FOSS4G stack everything else that makes up that stack - GRASS, MapServer, GeoServer, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, etc., etc. - I think is fair game at a QGIS user group meeting.  At the Scottish meet I was thinking of repeating the talk Ian gave at OSGIS from the OSGeo live DVD (or at least highlighting what was available on the DVD and explaining how OSGeo helps out.)

I'd like to see more engagement too.  It may just start with simply putting up the OSGeo logo and doing a lightning talk about the UK chapter from a certified (or not) OSGeo stalwart at a QGIS meeting.  Who knows - maybe we should have an OSGeo unconference day where we look at everything on the OSGeo DVD...

Michael, it would be great to have a discussion about it all, particularly as I am relatively new to the whole thing.

Cheers

Ross