[OSGeo-UK] QGIS-UK paypal account

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Tue Jan 13 07:38:18 PST 2015

Playing devil's advocate to a certain extent- yes of course you can sponsor
OSGeo globally: http://www.osgeo.org/sponsorship/opportunities. However,
that doesn't feed back to the local chapters in any consistent way and I
know for a fact that OSGeo finds it very hard to attract sponsors. I also
spent a long time trying to attract funds for the UK chapter without very
much luck. From a volunteer's perspective, ad hoc donations to specific
projects are considerably easier to deal with than anything else and I
personally would prefer it if we stayed with that light touch approach-
picking projects to support as and when we have funds.

Jo

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Yakus <matt.travis1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like all those ideas Saber.
>
> I have recently raised the idea of a subscription for the QGIS user group
> but perhaps we should try and expand that to osgeo:uk.
>
> For a lot of organisations(including mine) they need some kind of invoice
> say they've received something in return. A subscription to a user group
> would be fine. We do the same for the Mapinfo user group already. I think
> there is a real potential here to raise funds. The money being saved in
> places is huge so hopefully some would willing to put back in and help
> sustain os projects.
>
> Also, is there some form of certification people would get from osgeo if
> they did sign. I think Pete said he was looking into this.
>
> Jo - glad you like the idea of a Met Office event and it would be great if
> you could come too. I need to look at dates and speak to Ian first but I'll
> update you real soon.
>
> Cheers
>
> Matt
>

> --

*Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 7930 524 155
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform
<http://www.isharemaps.com/>

864201149.