[OSGeo-UK] Raster meeting

AJ Graham alastair.graham at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 14:27:27 PDT 2016

Hi everyone

I am looking to organise a one day meeting scheduled for Jan/Feb 2017 about
raster processing. I want the focus to be on the use of open source
software to process open data, specifically open satellite image datasets
such as those from the Sentinel and Landsat missions, and other open raster
datasets such as LiDAR derived elevation etc.

I'm sending this email to
a) try and gauge what sort of interest there might be for such a meeting,
b) see whether anyone is interested enough to want to help with the
organisation :-) and
c) to find out if there are any specific topics that the community would
like to see included.

I have my ideas (see next paragraph) but it would be great to try and put
on an event that addresses the needs and interests of the community.

Personally I'd like to see some beginner talks/practicals on open raster
data (and satellite data in particular) moving on to more advanced topics
as the day progresses e.g. data dissemination, infrastructure etc. A mix of
practitioners and developers would be really useful, along with a mix of
use-cases and software development in the talks and demos. For instance,
there are a load of Python libraries etc that have been developed for
raster processing and it would be great to have some of those discussed in
detail.

Anyway, if this sort of meeting would be of interest then please reply to
let me know.
Also feel free to ping back any comments and questions on this

Thanks
Alastair