[OSGeo-UK] Thoughts for OSGeo UK pot of resource

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Fri Jun 17 03:03:36 PDT 2016

Hi Ian,

Thanks for these thoughts. To a certain extent, what we do with our pot of
cash depends on how big that pot is- so we'll wait and see how much we have
once the bills are all paid...

My thoughts:

* Historically OSGeo and OSGeo:UK specifically have tried to solicit case
studies, with only a small amount of success. Maybe we just need to keep
badgering people- we certainly have somewhere were we could host them.
* Regarding a virtual machine running the FOSS4G stack- my first thought
was that there is OSGeo:Live which is available as a bootable DVD or a VM,
but from a local gov perspective would a machine running lubuntu really cut
the mustard? I don't think we could afford to set up a windows server
virtual machine, unfortunately. I do like the cookbook idea though- what
sort of "problems" were you thinking we could "solve"?
* Gap analysis- I like this idea a lot but we'd need help making it happen,
soliciting ideas etc.

Jo

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Ian Mayo <ian at planetmayo.com> wrote:

> At the AGM Stephen invited suggestions regarding use of the OSGeo UK funds.
>
> This coincided with thoughts from earlier presentations regarding gaps in
> the FOSS4G toolchain.  It further coincided with observations in Suchith's
> Open Principles presentation.
>
> FOSS4G has some strong member projects, who provide support within their
> stovepipe, and conduct "Open Source Marketing" around their application.
> I'm not aware of an organisation that considers the overall FOSS4G
> tool-chain, whether that be producing web-maps from a desktop application,
> or an overall FOSS4G tool stack.
>
> When a proprietary vendor provides such a stack they have a clear
> strategic objective for promoting that stack:
> * easy access to/installation of the stack
> * getting started guides
> * happy-ending case studies
>
> But, this cross-cutting interest seems missing from the FOSS4G community.
>
> So, I believe there may be value in using the pot-of-resource in this
> direction, maybe:
> * sponsor a review of the FOSS4G adoption process, from the mindset of a
> Local Government Agency - to produce a gap analysis that can then be
> addressed as appropriate
> * provide some targeted packages of work that improve the glue between
> tools in the stack/chain (though I'd hope Open Standards would prevent most
> such problems).
> * sponsor some business analysis / authoring on successful case studies.
> We've seen a few such cases at FOSS41G16, it's just a matter of presenting
> them in a format suitable for the Internet (case studies).  Then the
> subsequent hosting of and/or exploiting of these materials
> * invest effort in lowering the cost of running a pilot project.   Maybe
> this would just be one or more Virtual Machines running a FOSS4G stack,
> then a cookbook of solving typical Local Government problems using it.
> Such a capability could then be advertised within suitable forums - go to
> where the potential users are, rather than pull them to OSGeo.
>
> Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, or teaching granny to suck eggs....
>
> Regards,
> Ian

*Jo Cook*
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek

Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic intelligence platform
<https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer, PostGIS and QGIS training
<https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
Helpdesk and customer portal