[OSGeo-UK] How to spend some money

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Fri Feb 10 06:48:37 PST 2017

Hi Ian,

Wow that would be great but I think you'd be looking at a fair bit more
money than we have available. We'd also need people to collate the work,
which would be a big investment of time, and as you quite rightly point
out, skills. We have previously attempted to get case studies together but
this is always a lot harder than it should be, even if you provide people
with a professionally designed template!

Given the volunteer time available I think our best bet is to score quick
wins by sponsoring projects or discrete pieces of development work, or
indeed providing a bursary for someone to travel to FOSS4G in Boston.

Thanks for the suggestion though- it would be great if we can ever get to
the point where it's something we can look at doing...

Jo

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Ian Mayo <ian at planetmayo.com> wrote:

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:54:56 +0000
> > From: Jo Cook <jocook at astuntechnology.com>
> > To: uk at lists.osgeo.org
> > Subject: [OSGeo-UK] How to spend some money
> >
> > Hello UK Chapter folk,
> >
> > Let us know what you think, or even let us know of other options- we'd be
> > happy to contribute to other projects but need a clear funding mechanism
> > do it.
> >

> The capability gap the between O/S & Commercial toolkits is shrinking.
> But, I'm pretty sure the marketing gap is large & growing.
>
> How about funding the development of a professional quality QGis
> marketing pack, targeting UK councils/public bodies.
>
> The pack could contain examples of how frequent geospatial
> challenges/tasks are performed with QGis, together with case studies
> of QGis/Open Source adoption and testimonials.
>
> The materials would be Open Source, and customisable to suit the
> opportunity at hand.
>
> No, sadly I don't hold the skills to be a candidate for the work.
>
> Regards,
> Ian

*Jo Cook*
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek

Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 w: astuntechnology.com twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic intelligence platform
<https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer, PostGIS and QGIS training
<https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
Helpdesk and customer portal