[UN] 2019 Activities

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 04:38:59 PDT 2019

Hi Ivana,

Re PostGIS course, am I right in assuming that the material you used
with UN initiative is here:
https://postgis.net/workshops/postgis-intro/index.html ?

If so, this material is freely available under a creative commons license.

Re Google Season of Docs timeframe:
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/timeline

Organisation application due 23 April 2019

Writing done: August - November 2019

There are limited tech writers available (when compared to Google Summer
of Code); 50 in total so I'd expect OSGeo would only get access to 1.

So how could we lever that tech writer to super-charge the writing
capability of our existing community?

In particular, are there gaps or improvements in PostGIS (or other OSGeo
project) documentation that a tech writer could add significant value to?

I'd like to see the Google Season of Docs used as a focal point to
tackle hard open source documentation challenges, probably by working on
a pilot in one project, developing template(s) in conjunction with
volunteer users and developers to create a pattern than can be followed.

Is this of interest to you as well?