[Web Comm] Logo Contest revisited

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 09:51:47 EST 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> I've taken another swack at the logo contest text.  Please take a look at this before the meeting tomorrow.  If we can sign off on the text, then we can send it to the board for their next meeting:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Logo_Contest

Jason,

I would encourage you to change:

"All submissions will be screened by the board with the assistance of external
design/branding experts before being posted for voting."

"A short list of submissions will be selected for a general vote/poll."

Sort of like these TV shows where voting is only on a list of finalists.
In practice this would be done by WebCom or whoever it picks to do the
narrowing down, though the board would need an opportunity to remove any
submissions it found objectionable.  But details of the process to select
a short list don't need to be on the contest advertising page.

I would also encourage you to push some of the contest parameter legalese
down near the bottom of the page so as not too put people off too soon. :-)

Also, I think it would be better for WebCom to break ties.  If a submission
makes into into the finalist category, then it means the board can live with
it.  As a board member, I hate being in the "tie breaker" role, and so would
prefer to leave this to someone else (ie. WebCom).  In fact, WebCom might
want to designate a small (say 3 person) group to run the contest to make
things run smoother.  The whole submission list could still be provided to
WebCom for feedback, but it doesn't take many people on a committee before
complex decisions (like winowing down entries) gets very cumbersome.