[Webcom] community spotlights and the front page

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at geomaticblog.net
Mon Dec 3 09:45:49 EST 2007

2007/11/30, Lorenzo Becchi <lorenzo at ominiverdi.com>:

> Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
> > It appears as if the Drupal Localization module can't (yet) handle fall
> > back to xx language in case node hasn't been translated :( What do you
> > think, should we disable localization of the community spotlights all
> > together? This would mean that the spotlights would show up in all
> > languages but they would not be translatable.
> >

> community is growing continuously, I still don't know when there will be
> enough translators to translate all updated contents.
> actually many static contents has never been translated in most
> languages (see  Italian version :-P )
>

> > We could fake the fallback by making a translation in English (ye a
> > copy), and assign that to each language, until proper translation.
> > However if we start (as Frank wishes) to make 1-2 spotlights once per
> > month I think that the translators would be hard pushed to keep up.
> >
> > I propose that we turn off localization of community spotlights.
> >

> this make sense to me as far as we have a chance, soon or later, to
> upgrade the module (content type?!?) and it will become possible to edit
> the localization for a single node.
> I prefer to see half of the post translated that none of them.
> the latter is cleaner, the former invite new persons to apply as
> translator (hopefully). If there's one visitor each thousand that apply
> as translator we'll have soon a great crew.
>
> > Furthermore I have made the top and bottom parts of the front page into
> > views as well which means that they should be translated as soon as
> > possible. Who is in contact with translators to make it happen? I think
> > that they should be translated before we "go live" with the test site.
> >
> the way to contact translators is actually this mailing list.
> if the number of translators start growing it would be desirable to
> create a list for translation where every change of text in the English
> version is commented to let everybody know.
>

> ciao
> Lorenzo
>

> ps: hope this message make sense, it's late once again

As the only one translator at this time for Spanish content (and not
very active last weeks I have to admit) I should prefer a "copy" of
the English contents into translated languages and some kind of "ping"
(trac ticket?) to translators to call to translate that new content.

I hope that with the Spanish community growing, we will have more
translators and we can distribute the content to have a more "Spanish"
OSGeo site.

I agree with Lorenzo that I prefer a half translated portal than a
"only English" contents.

Cheers
--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas