[Webcom] wanting to add a blog/news entry to the website, policy?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Dec 20 09:41:32 EST 2007

dear all,

I want to add what is basically a blog entry to the OSGeo site.
I wrote it last week, a writeup of a talk about "Open Source
Perspective" i gave to the OGC's Mass Market working group.
No-one on the "standards" list complained and a few thumbs up.
The text is in this post:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/standards/2007-December/000147.html

Q: Where's a good place to put this kind of thing? It doesn't qualify
as a "news item".
A: Ah, i see http://www.osgeo.org/blog/ which only collects Tyler's
posts. If i created a blog entry with my usual useraccount, it would
appear here, right? And it's not linked from anywhere else inside the
site, so doesn't have that much external public impact ;)

I hope this makes sense to those assembled at WebCom. I would
ordinarily put this sort of thing on mappinghacks.com but i dont think
it's so interesting for the general audience. Mappinghacks does not
need the googlejuice and i would rather redirect some towards osgeo.

Hey, while i'm here; I am hoping to a little bit of detailed stats
analysis on the requests for the Journal - how much is it picking up
issue-by-issue, what the spread over time is like, where the referrers
are coming from - a bit more detail than the current awstats package
at http://www.osgeo.org/awstats/awstats.pl?config=osgeo will give me.
I'll ask SAC for either access to the box or a dump of the logs, but i
wonder if others are interested in this  / thinking about it.

cheers,

jo

cheers,