[Webcom] Translation issues..

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Sep 7 17:53:47 EDT 2007

On 7-Sep-07, at 4:54 AM, Marie Silvestre wrote:

> Hi WebCom !
>
> I've got some questions about news, upcoming events and every
> things that appear on the home page of the website. How does the
> translation work there ?
> Let me explain my problem : I translated the FOSS4G "upcoming
> event" item in french (hard work, yeah I know...) and the
> translation does not appear on the french home page. I did the same
> with the last news item about mapguide release and it worked.
> So, is there any way I can translate upcoming events and other
> items (appart from news which already work) and make them appear on
> the french home page ?

Most "normal" pages should translate perfectly fine.  I guess the
event items are the only problem?   This is a custom type of content
we have, we will have to look into how to enable translations for
them if they are not working.  Likewise, with http://osgeo.org/
library - some items only show up in French but are not shown in
English... this is tough, I believe it is the same problem.

> I've got another question about translation : would it be possible
> to translate elements in the left menu and other titles (such as
> "Home", "OSGeo community", "Select language", "news", etc.) ?

Definitely - this is something I meant to do but haven't done.
Please add the titles you would like to see into the table here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Portal_Translation_Status (like done
in the Deutsch section).  Then when someone has time to edit the
menus it can be changed.