[Webcom] Community web site and tools

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 25 13:12:06 EDT 2008

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> Hi all,
> One thing I've dreamed of for awhile has been a community-focused web
> site, not just for some idealistic purpose but also for some very real,
> practical tools that I think we could use.  Rather than our primary
> osgeo.org site which is more outward facing, I think there could be a
> good role for an inward one that helps out in a few ways.
>
> Here are a few areas I'm thinking:
>
> 1 - Membership sign-up - it's a FAQ and annual outstanding item.
> Personally needed so I have membership metrics that I can share during
> presentations.
> 2 - Voting and polling - formal elections and informal questions from
> the community.  Formally to help alleviate the strain of managing annual
> election, nomination, verification, etc. processes
> 3 - Project/Committee sign-up tools
> 4 - Community blogging system
> 5 - Small donation collections and project funding drives
> 6 - way more... ?
>
> Ideas 3-6 are just off the top of my head, whereas 1&2 are real things
> I've tried to make some progress on but can't seem to wrap up well.  In
> my feeble attempts I've got CivicRM (civicrm.org) running (osgeo2) and I
> use it to track our charter membership lists, board member list, donor
> list and financial donations.
>
> I put this past the WebCom to see if there is general interest.  If so,
> I'd like to try to find a couple people interested in helping develop
> the tools and site further - first focusing on #1 and #2.

Tyler,

I'm concerned about splitting public facing stuff (including member
signup) from the public Drupal instance.  I think it makes too many
distinct portals and it makes it hard to keep things straight.
I don't mind the CivicRM site as a place for more internal record
keeping.

I would suggest you post your thoughts on discuss as well.  I think
webcom needs some new blood so posting only hear is less likely to
be helpful than a broader troll for volunteers.