[Webcom] Survey and polling tools

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Tue Jun 3 11:57:13 EDT 2008

dear Jorge, Yves, all,
On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:41:21AM -0700, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> On 3-Jun-08, at 7:35 AM, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas wrote:
> >2008/6/3 Jacolin Yves <yjacolin at free.fr>:
> >>
> >>Here some though about all of this.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Community_Site#Specific_Functions

As CRO for the current elections I've found the CiviCRM part of
"community site" useful for as a store of lists of members.
Afterwards I'll hopefully add annotations about non-voters, etc.
CiviCRM is more oriented towards non-profit PR and fundraising,
thus is a reasonably good fit for the "contact management" bits.

For the actual voting part, a mailbox, text files and shell scripts
are less work (and less vulnerable) than working through a web UI.

I would approve of encouraging people running local chapters to use
the currently very "vanilla" services available at the CiviCRM site,
I'd recommend the Francophone and Hispano-hablante organisers get an
account on it right now and check out its functionality.
I would see connecting up the long-neglected "membership management"
application to it. At that point it would *definitely* need an
explicit support commitment from SAC, though.

I don't really see the "community site" as more than a
knowledge-sharing tool for community organisers, really; if the
broader "community" doesn't keep looking at the main site, it will
turn into brochureware and make the online presence seem fragmented.
Why not open the main site to contributions more? But i guess this
kind of feedback belongs at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Community_Site#Concerns

jo