[Webcom] Foundation / Community / Projects Boxes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 5 15:43:32 EDT 2008

Jason Birch wrote:
> Good ones.  There is a lot of stale content on the site.
>
> I'm reconsidering the value of the project info sheets as well.  I think
> it's important to present a uniform experience but, frankly, they're
> ugly and really some TLC.  The intention was that these would be created
> when adding new links to the main page, but that hasn't happened and now
> we have a mish-mosh of links.  Perhaps it's better to remove them and
> just point to those projects' home pages from our main page?

Jason,

I'm personally ambivalent about the project info pages on the web.  I
think their greater value is the "one page handout" format for tradeshows.
I have been adding new projects with direct links with the intention that
when a project info page was prepared we would point to that instead.
But I wouldn't mind ditching the project info pages on the web entirely.

> My concern is that these, the spotlights, and other items really require
> some people-resources.  I know that you're over-worked as usual Frank,
> and I'm finding that I have a lot less time to put towards meta-osgeo
> than I did two years ago.  What we really need is fresh blood, but OSGeo
> (we) does a poor job of communicating that it isn't a corporate borg
> entity, and that anyone can easily get involved and make a difference.
> I don't know what to do about this.

Agreed.  I think it would be helpful to announce the meeting on the discuss
list with a not-too-subtle call for assistance.