[Webcom] Mozilla's site

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed May 14 17:04:39 EDT 2008

I happened to be browsing Mozilla's site today and a few things
struck me as attractive.  Little things that impress me don't always
mean they are useful though ;-)  They do have some commonalities to
OSGeo in that there is the Foundation, Products and similar other
items we have.

http://mozilla.org  (and http://mozilla.com to some degree)

The front page uses 6 main boxes, and a few top tabs, instead of
detailed menus.  They help you choose and then they get out of the
way.  Main sections are: Foundation, Software, Store, News &
Announcements (2-3 different kinds).  A pretty good fit with much of
our content and it feels useful but not too heavy.

Overall, I just thought I'd mention this site because I happened to
be there looking at some of their foundation docs and thought this
looked neat.  Maybe there are some points we can take home??  I'm
late to the party at this point, having missed last meeting, but
thought I'd mention it anyway - I always like finding other
inspirational sites to steal ideas from.  Not that I have time to
implement them... :)

Coincidentally, our original theme for osgeo.org was based on the
"spreadfirefox" Drupal theme (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/).