[Webcom] request for CSS change for wiki history pages

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Thu Sep 25 19:03:51 EDT 2008

As someone who is partially colorblind, I find
that the use of RED to highlight changed text
on the wiki's "History diff" makes it hard to
use effectively, especially when there are small
changes (e.g. adding/deleting a single letter,
space, or punctuation mark).

Should I file a SAC ticket to request a change
to the relevant CSS file as outlined below?

The existing CSS is in /skins/common/diff.css
http://wiki.osgeo.org/skins/common/diff.css
and the relevant class is:
.diffchange {
   color: red;
   font-weight: bold;
   text-decoration: none;
}

My suggested changes are to replace the diffchange
class with two specifications, to use different
attributes for the deleted and inserted text,
both being BLUE, and with deleted text highlighted
with a strike-through:
del.diffchange {
   color: blue;
   font-weight: bold;
   text-decoration: line-through;
}
ins.diffchange {
   color: blue;
   font-weight: bold;
   text-decoration: none;
}

If you want to test this to see what it looks like,
it's easy to do using the Stylish extension for Firefox:
- install Stylish
- using Ctrl+M or the icon in the lower right corner,
   go into Stylish's Manage Styles
- create a style entry, using this:
-----------------------------------
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("wiki.osgeo.org") {

del.diffchange {
   color: blue !important;
   font-weight: bold !important;
   text-decoration: line-through !important;
}

ins.diffchange {
   color: blue !important;
   font-weight: bold !important;
   text-decoration: none !important;
}

}
-----------------------------------
- go to an OSGeo wiki page that shows a History diff:
   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Main_Page&diff=28053&oldid=27981
- using the popup menu from hovering over the Stylish
   icon in the browser's lower right corner, you can
   toggle the above style on/off to compare to the
   default wiki styling.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems