[Webcom] Stuck on Website Migration

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Tue Nov 8 17:24:33 EST 2011

Hello Frank and webcom,

2011/11/8 Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Milo van der Linden <milo at dogodigi.net> wrote:
>> Hello webcom,
>>
>> I would like to help, but I think it is important, when you ask for
>> help, to work in small chunks.
>>
>> 1. First of all, a technological decision needs to be made: v6 or v7.
>> then volunteers know what they are up against
>
> Milo,
>
> I'd suggest we (webcom and interested folks) should have an IRC
> meeting to try and reach some closure on the decisions to be made.

Excelent, count me in.

> Tyler - it would be helpful if you could prepare a web page with the
> decisons to be made, technical problems, and rationales.
>
>> 2. The selected skeleton needs to be put online on an accessible place.
>> 3. The skeleton needs to be put in svn so developers can download it
>> and work on it.
>
> I'm not convinced that we should be mixing in svn for the web site
> material.  If we are working with Drupal it is partly to avoid the
> complexity of svn and similar source control technologies for the
> web site.  It also isn't obvious that we can move stuff back and forth
> in a practical way.

If through experience you guys come to this conclusion, I agree with
that. It was merely a guess to make collective
development/configuration of the website, but I suppose there are
other ways better fit.

> This also seems to imply that we are going to need to go over all
> the pages and somehow redo them.  I'm not sure that is the case.

It would indeed be good to have some sort of import routine instead of
doing handwork

>> 4. A TRAC environment needs to be set up. with tickets filed for every
>> chunk that needs fixing (f.i. LDAP, SSL, Design, localization, mods
>> and so on)
>
> I will note that we normally use the OSGeo Trac instance with the
> "Web Site" component for web site related tickets.  I would suggest
> we stick with this to the extent we need tracking.
>
>  http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/

Great!