[Webcom] so how are we doing here?

R. Paul Warriner paul at warriner.us
Mon Aug 8 04:18:46 PDT 2016

>     On August 8, 2016 at 5:58 AM Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 05:42:33AM -0400, R. Paul Warriner wrote:
>
>         > >
> >         It appears that most of the responsibility of this committee has
> >         propogated to SAC and other groups.
> >
> >     >
>     How did you figure this out ?

Just an assumption, as I see no CRUD capability under my own id, and this is an item of group responsibility. Since we do not have a meeting notes trail, it is difficult to determine the advisory/decision making roles from this group, and appears to have been left to others.

It appears most OSGeo content is in a different wiki areas, i.e. https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Website_Committee , but as stated below, this is for unofficial copy.

The Open Source Geospatial Foundation, or OSGeo, is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to support the collaborative development of open source geospatial software, and promote its widespread use.

This is the community Wiki of OSGeo. Please refer to the official web site at http://www.osgeo.org/ for stable documents and policies.

This Wiki is the place where documents can be created collaboratively (ie. adoption processes, user hints, suggestions, committee notes, etc.). All web pages that are adopted as official documents are managed using SVN and will be published on the OSGeo web site http://www.osgeo.org which is is the only official site for documents.

>         > >
> >         I know this is sounding like somethingfrom the "bureaucrat" permissions group, but it appears some of us do
> >         not even rate that level anymore.
> >
> >     >
>     Is there a way to get a list of permission groups and the
>     components of each ? (I'm assuming you're talking about the
>     Drupal site here)

Only if we find the Drupal person with that permission level, that can reach into the Roles and Permissions category of Drupal. This area will give the fine grained detail, down to creating, viewing, and editing content.

>         > >
> >         how do we make WebCom relevant again, and what is the purpose of the group?
> >
> >     >
>     My personal view on the matter: WebCom is the people you go to for
>     getting new content and corrections to actual content on the www.osgeo.org
>     website.
>
>     That's why I came knocking in the first place, to find out the house
>     was on fire.
>
>     --strk;

I would add, and should be a collection of offical record.

If Drupal is the tool for the Foundation, and Wiki for project work. Drupal should contain at a minimum official information for all projects, and I feel some of the important features of Drupal, like books and taxonomy are lost to the wiki.