[webmap-discuss] Re: Strategic Direction

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sat Sep 23 16:19:33 EDT 2006

Thanks Claude.  I am, in general, doing things the same way as you
are ... I feel that there is benefit to be had by some server-side
involvement, hence Chameleon is what it is :)

I can't speak for the future evolution of the unified web-mapping API
(umapi anyone?) but I think, in general, that the tools are designed
to gather user input and advertise this through an event mechanism.
This means that a set of basic rendering functions would just draw on
the screen and advertise that drawing is complete.  Depending on the
toolkit using the API, this could be interpreted as a POLYGON for a
WFS filter or sent to a server side script for some sort of
intelligent query plus extraction function (or data insertion).

I've got a general need for feature creation and editing and am
building a generic architecture for OpenLayers that would hopefully
provide decent cross-platform support for the basic primitive
operations like drawing.  There is also some work being done in
MapBuilder on an SVG/VML implementation of something similar that I
haven't seen but have heard about.  I would hope that over time,
these implementations come closer together, or merge, around the
OpenLayers API ...

Cheers

Paul