Choosing a Web Mapping Platform Wiki

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 09:58:50 EDT 2006

I like the "Choosing a Web Mapping Platform" Wiki that Paul Spencer started at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Choosing_a_Web_Mapping_Platform

A few questions:

1. Is the focus of the Wiki really a Platform, or a Client? It seems
like the focus is on clients and a separate page might be appropriate
for servers. Where platform = server + client.

2. How about an expanded matrix detailing more functionality and
requirements like:
- templates (managed / unmanaged) (this is in Paul's matrix)
- consumes (OGC, proprietary, Google, etc.) (Client/Server in Paul's matrix)
- server side requirements to support the client
- legend / layer selector
- measure and area tools
- digitizing
- tiled "slippy" map panning
- JavaScript library(s)
- other important stuff
Do other people see value in this level of detail?
Would people from the various projects be willing to provide details
for their projects?
Can an HTML table be put into a Wiki page, or are we limited to ASCII art?

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com