[Wps-discuss] WPS Benchmarking at FOSS4G 2014

Benjamin Proß b.pross at 52north.org
Tue Aug 19 07:03:25 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I see that there are still not all services are deployed on the test
machine. I hope you guys are still on board.
At 52°North we were thinking a bit about the execute tests.
We do not yet have any results to compare but we think that benchmarking
with "real" processes that compute something could falsify the results,
as the computation in most cases is done by a underlying library
(GeoTools in our case, but this could also be exchanged).
So the results would be influenced by how fast the geo-computation lib
would do its job. Not sure that we want that?!
We also do not test whether the process really did its job (e.g. buffer
the input geometry). So do we need to use "real" processes?
We would propose to use an echo process that could have three inputs,
Literal-, Complex- and BBoxData. The process then simply returns what it
gets (input/output types would have to match).
We would probably also need a asynchronous version that has a delay or
something.
That way we could test the input-/output handling capabilities (of all
three data types) of the services and we would still test everything
regarding execute that is tested right now (i.e. we would not loose
functionality).
Do you have any views on that?

Cheers,

Benjamin

--
Benjamin Proß
Software Engineer

52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
Fon: +49-(0)-251–396371-42
Fax: +49-(0)-251–396371-11
b.pross at 52north.org
http://52north.org/

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849