[OSGeo-Discuss] Draft of Guidelines for OSGeo Local Chapters

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Thu Aug 3 09:42:43 EDT 2006

Venka and others,

There are some good ideas in the framework documents but before I comment on
the specifics I was wondering if the structure presented has been agreed
upon or if that is up for discussion as well. The way this is presented it's
hard for me to tell if advancing in levels is a nested structure (as the
titles suggest) so a branch would have multiple chapters and chapters would
have multiple groups associated with it. Or, is it like advancing in rank
(as the bullets suggest) so an interest group is more casual than a full
branch. My preference is the nested structure but it might be better for
this to be a more of a self organizing structure.

I would think a single "level" would be easier to start with. I agree a
framework is necessary but it might be good to allow each "chapter" to
organize how they see fit. For example, ff they want to have a conference
great and if not that's fine too. I'm just not sure we need categories to
define what a chapter does. Letting groups organize as they see fit would
also make geographic/language questions less of an issue from the framework
perspective. Does it matter if a chapter is organized around a common
language, convenient driving time, regional association, or anything else
for that matter? As time goes by we can always modify the framework if
necessary.

 If the 3-tierd framework has already been accepted I'll go ahead and
comment on what is in the Wiki.

Ned