[OSGeo-Board] [Fwd: RE: open source GIS - SA interest group]

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 30 11:15:24 EST 2006

Chris Holmes wrote:
> What are our thoughts on making lists available for local area groups?
> While I was in Africa last year I spent a good bit of time in South
> Africa, and started to bring together an open source GIS interest group.
>  It fits right in with OSGEO, so I think this could be an obvious place
> for their group to live.
>
> Perhaps a 'working group'?  Associated with the international committee
> (if we ever made one)?

Chris,

My opinion is that we should freely create new lists for this and almost
any other purpose desired on the mail.osgeo.org domain.  And furthermore,
that if there is evidence of some commitment we should set up country,
regional or local domains under osgeo.org.   I could see this step
requiring a request to the board.

I have taken the liberty of cc:ing this to the international discuss list
for feedback.

The above said, I would prefer not to have OSGeo compete with existing
local/national/regional portals with very compatible goals.

Best regards,