[intl-discuss] Indonesia

Geoff Zeiss geoff.zeiss at autodesk.com
Tue Mar 10 16:08:43 EDT 2009

An idea

Indonesia has a successful government initiative called IGOS (Indonesia Go Open Source), which is being promoting in other parts of Asia as AGOS (Asia Go Open Source).  This is actively supported by the Minister for Research and Technology (RISTEK), Dr K. Kadiman. There are a number of people in RISTEK and in other ministries who have been involved in this initiative.

There is also a very active non-government open source community in Indonesia, mostly around Linux (http://linux.or.id/) and Java (http://www.slideshare.net/flatburger/jug-java-users-group-indonesia.)  I know Frans Thamura (frans at meruvian.com<mailto:frans at meruvian.com>) very well and I know he is very interested in OSGEO.

I think people from the government and non-government OSS community in Indonesia would be interested in OSGEO and encouraging them to attend FOSS4G in Sydney may be a good way to encourage the Indonesian OSS community to become more involved in OSGEO.

Geoff