[intl-discuss] Minutes from meeting from organisations marketing into Asia/Pacific

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 22:34:24 EDT 2009

I had a meeting with a number of organisations who are currently
marketing Standards and Open Source Geospatial into Asia who are
interested in taking part in FOSS4G.

The participants have all now joined this
www_international-discuss at lists.osgeo.org email list, and I encourage
participants to add any thoughts they have so far.

I also encourage the international list participants to add your ideas,
or ask specific questions.

See the Notes below for some very pointed advice and questions that we
need to follow up on.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Organising_Committee_Meetings#2009.2F03.2F25_Marketing_into_Asia.2FPacific

      2009/03/25 Marketing into Asia/Pacific

*Agenda:* Our aim today is:

    * To engage organisations currently marketing into Asia/Pacific to
      advise and help with FOSS4G marketing FOSS4G.
    * open lines of communication
    * identify ideas from the group - to be followed up via email

    00 Introductions, including listing your contacts and ideas for
    connecting into Asia

    10 Open for questions and discussion

    40 Meeting close

Time:
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2009&month=3&day=25&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=196&p3=248&p4=256
<http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2009&month=3&day=25&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p1=240&p2=196&p3=248&p4=256>

*Attendees:*

    * Arnold Wong, Director of Landgate International, selling
      Landgate's SDI into Asia and Middle East.
    * Venka Raghavan, prominent, well respected and well connectd OSGeo
      evangelist in Asia, based in Japan, with strong links in
      particular in China, Vietnam, Thailand, ...
    * Mike Ridout, Coorporative Research Center for Spatial Information
      (CRCSI). The CRCSI has been building relationships in Asia,
      notably in China.
    * Geoff Zeiss, Autodesk evangelist. Regular presenter, networker and
      blogger at International Geospatial conferences. Has strong
      connections into Indonesia.
    * Harley Prowse, Director of GeoBiz in New Zealand, connected in New
      Zealand, and on the FOSS4G Organising Committee
    * Andrew Bashfield, has years of Geospatial Experience and contacts
      in Australia.
    * Julia Vernon, Tour Hosts, our conference organisor
    * Melbourne University School of Geomatics, working with Global SDI
      and Asia Pacific SDI, including email lists for these communities:
          o Abbas Rajabifard, (sends his apologies)
    * OGC: Leading the "Climate Challenge Integration Plugfest" at
      FOSS4G and networking at an international level.
          o Greg Buehler
    * OSGeo
          o Jeff McKenna (OSGeo conference committee chair)
          o Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo head)

*Notes:*

    * Venka asks "FOSS4G local committees want to know what they should
      be doing to get involved".
    * Arnold notes that feedback he has received is that FOSS4G is
      perceived to be a techie conference and doesn't target the
      Business decision makers.
          o Cameron noted that our aim is to target both the techies,
            and management, by providing business drivers for Open Source.
          o Action: We need to adjust our marketing to highlight our
            focus on business drivers.
    * Suggestion that we invite government ministers, both Australian
      and from our region to present.
    * Geoff notes that Indonesia and Malaysia have made OSGeo a
      government initiative.
    * Discussion will continue on
      http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/www_international-discuss

--