[intl-discuss] Minutes from meeting from organisations marketing into Asia/Pacific

Frans Thamura frans at meruvian.org
Mon Mar 30 01:54:29 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Venka <venka.osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Frans,
>
> Nice to know about your work in Indonesia. The need for
> a global program for testing and certification in FOSS4G
> technologies is quite crucial and urgent. The issue of
> training and certification has been discussed before
> in OSGeo but nothing concrete has emerged as yet.

cool :)

we have a certification system here ;0 develop , first based on cisco
ccna, now we are far more "indonesia" because we are distribute by
island, and internet is very bad, we use distributed mechanism,

and we also modified the first release for our vocational highs chool
IT exam here, we just testing for java exam, and soo, i think i will
put several GIS, the target in June ;)

the s/w is opensourced also called jen1us and brigade, hosted in
SF.net, but the last jen1us still in our server.

> It would be worth exploring possibilities for online
> training in Asia undersome organizational framework.
> I know of some educational institutions in Asia who would
> be interested in such a framework. Could you give more
> details about your current program in Indonesia.

my program right now help the gap between education and industri, and
because our goverment work very bad, so the gap is amazing

now i am work very close with mostly IT assosication, and chamber of
commerce of this, and the good news are the highschools (vocational)
and univs also join the movement, and non IT companies join also, so
my foundation now turn become like consoritium that pushing the
education minister to be more "industrial", this is a pressure to
create not academic univs but also competency based univ which we dont
have it yet.

our first program to create a open education, free distributable
material for all citizen here, using indonesia language (we are mostly
cannot speak english here). and we create training hand on material,
create exam  online, and now we have pressure to make sure the good
guy from this program, can work

mostly 50% for graduate from high school cannot work, only 10% of all
high school graduate can go to univs, and less than 50% of the
undergraduate program , accepted as "good" in the industry

with bad internet connection, we have a lot of problem, we cannot
download a lot of software even it is opensource and free :) thx to
cameron that send me the LiveGIS DVD, the Map Guide material from
geoff also need 4 week to finish to download ;( argh...

so my another program create DVD, and distribute across indonesia

the problem in this program, all funded by my self :) from my own
company of course

and i am posting here, i glad if osgeo can support me, i am nost
asking about the funding, recognized or give several small material
for the students here

the high level of this program, to increase technopreneur using
OpenSource , right now we are very strong in Java :P

I believe the strongest in Asia Pasific :)

and the most fullstack also :) from sales marketing, open material,
training, exam online, DVD distribution,

we did a periodicaly (monthly mostly roadshow) to the schools and
univs all over java island, we cannot access to another island,
because the funding is not enough

take a look this gallery

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=81948&id=675689084&l=ce50dad86d

in another world, my foundation also collect thesmart  student and do
industrial grade internship in all meruvian partner offices all over
java island.

and we push the second class high school to presentation their research and work

this is the gallery

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=95728&id=675689084&l=163a08bf59

we are trying to go to new goverment regulation to make all of smart
bright student work get schoolarship, mostly cannot go to univs,
because come from poor family

the regulation to make more sustain program and revenue for the people
that join meruvian