[ZOO-Discuss] Montpellier feedbacks

Gérald Fenoy gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Tue Nov 24 17:06:57 PST 2009

Hello ZOO Tribe Members,
my comments follow :)

> During the morning session, the ZOO Kernel internal mechanisms have been recalled and detailed by Gerald.
> Multi-language and bindings mechanisms were discussed, and ZOO Kernel could have been exposed as a service provider (load dynamic library)

Indeed, ZOO Kernel was presented as able to dynamically load ServicesProviders (shared libraries) which implement processes logic.
(more clear to me :] )

> Then, ZOO service architecture was detailed (source code + .zcfg metadata file) and example source code was shown (example service with conf, input, output...)
> The server side ZOO API which will be needed by the end-developers was also discussed.

We tried to explain how it can make the work of end-developper easier and how the end-developpers have to be involved in the process of building it. In fact, I'm conviced that the ZOO API will become obvious by itself. Developing more and more ServicesProviders will imply that we will discover its presence in the code...  But end-developer of those ServicesProviders can help a lot pointing what they re-use and what kind of "Local API" they need in every one of their services (=processes).

> The ZOO Server architecture (ZOO Kernel + MapServer + PostGIS) was also presented and some crazy stuff were said about AGG !

<irony>
In fact it was quoted whay and how we can try to do some development which aims to make a wheel rectangular and idea sounds really obvious :)
</irony>

[snip]
> During the afternoon session, we came back a bit one the technical side, with a ZOO Kernel install try by Guilllaume !

I remember it was a successful build. Guillaume can you confirm on this ?

> Then, Gerald explained the basic HelloWorld.py service and show some other demos (multiply, OGR, CGAL (voronoi, delaunay)).

Delaunay was wrong as it still be, only because of a miss-use of the CGAL library not the Kernel ... :]

> Others targeted services have been quickly discussed (GRASS, R, Sextante (compatibility with FastCGI ?), SOS, OpenOffice).

I profit from this sentence to say that there is still some GDAL Based ServiceProviders to implement. OpenOffice should be done soon.

> Discussions then switch to ZOO Web Client developement with interesting remarks from Eric and ReLuc.
> ZOO Skins and concept of discovery were considered and limitations about dynamic form creation was onece again discussed.

Sure it was and I think it will be discussed again and again since something really becomes alive :)

[snip]

Hope this helps comprehension :)

Kind regards,

Djay