[ZOO-Discuss] Many thanks Venka

Gérald Fenoy gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Mon Nov 29 01:38:43 PST 2010

Hi ZOOers,

As the ZOO Project PSC Chair and core developer, I would like to say thank you to Venkatesh Raghavan for his past, present and future contribution to the ZOO-Project.
Thanks also to Osaka City University for its great effort as a ZOO Knowledge Partner.

First of all, Venka is one of the early founder of the ZOO-Project idea during FOSS4G 2008 in Cape Town (South Africa). Then, he first pointed out the idea of using WPS specification to achieve our idea, which was just the right thing to do !

Then Venka made a lot of promotion around ZOO-Project in Japan, Vietnam, Thailand and China. I probably forgot some place where Venka went with his ZOO Tshirt !

Just before this FOSS4G 2009, Venka co-funded the 3 month work needed to implement the Fortran support in ZOO-Project, with the support of university Montpellier and Cemagref lab (France). This project allowed to develop a simulation platform for using Fortran Drift-X model source code on the Web.

The ZOO-Project and Tribe were born at FOSS4G 2009 in Sydney, where many people were dressing the ZOO-Project Tee-Shirt Venka gave to them. This made the project visible during the conference, even if the source code wasn't publicly available at that time. We were only able to show many XML files at that time, which proved that our implementation was working.

ZOO 1.0 was released on April 2010 and Venka kindly provided the infrastructure to host the ZOO-Project Web site, SVN server and Trac system. Since the release, Venka also help a lot with the ZOO WS and presentations preparation. He is also very active in WPS evengelisation and brings new knowledge sponsors in the ZOO Tribe.

Venka contributes a lot to ZOO-Project as to OSGeo,  and he's right when he says that ZOO is just something which make you able to use OSGeo software easily !

Venka, let me say many thanks again ! I hope that we'll continue this big venture all together for long.

gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Just a ZOO Tribe Member