[ZOO-Discuss] API license

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 5 04:38:02 PDT 2011

On 11-04-05 06:26 AM, nicolas bozon wrote:
> Hello again Bart, all
>
> After this morning modifications, I am now wondering about the license used for
> the ZOO API.
>
> As you may have noticed, the whole ZOO Project is licensed under the MIT license.
>
> As we are using parts of the OL code, does that mean that we should switch from
> MIT to BSD ?
> Same thing for proj4js, from MIT to LGPL ?

Nick,

Generally speaking MIT and BSD licensed code is quite compatible in terms.
There should be no problem mixing the licenses.  For LGPL things are slightly
more involved.  I'm not sure how the "library" clauses in LGPL are interpreted
for javascript but I presume it would be sufficient to keep the LGPL proj4js
code a bit separate and making it clear that it is under a distinct license.

For ZOO as a whole, the license information - perhaps in a LICENSE file -
should make it clear that ZOO code itself is under a license (MIT), while
subcomponents are under their own open source licenses.

(speaking from experience on the GDAL project with a mixture of stuff, and
from work on the incubation committee, but I am not a lawyer)