[Zoo-discuss] Versioning system

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Jul 4 01:24:50 PDT 2013

>From my experience with the pgRouting project moving to Github I can say
that this was one of the best decisions ever.
Like Zoo Project we used before a self-hosted SVN repository and TRAC, so I
think the situation is very similar.

So what changed with the move to Github:

   - We suddenly have people sending us pull requests (before contribution
   was close to not existent)
   - We can look at other developer's forks and spy if there are
   interesting changes or additions
   - No need to maintain a versioning system on own hardware anymore (no
   server downtime, no upgrades, etc.)
   - I can make commits locally without have to send them to a central
   repository
   - Making branches and merging became easier
   - You don't need to give developers access to the main repository, just
   let them create a fork and a pull request (who ever understood how to
   create and submit valid patches?)
   - The integrated issue tracker works well enough, the Wiki is also useful
   - In a few hours you have automated build test setup with Travis CI
   - It's possible to download releases from Github (which are basically
   tags) as ZIP or Tarball
   - pgRouting project also manages the website and tutorial source code
   (written in Sphinx such as Zoo project) in Github repositories and the
   static HTML content is served from Github Pages (so again, no need to
   maintain and keep a server running for just the website).

So overall we have less hassle, less administration work and more
contribution and activity since we moved to Github.

Of course there are alternatives and Github is not Open Source, that's
right.
I only tried Gitorious for a while, which I felt was missing some features
I was used to have with Github.
I don't see this as such a big problem, because Git is a distributed
versioning system and it is quite easy to move to another service or run
your own Git server.

Daniel

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 July 2013 16:10, Fenoy Gerald <gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr> wrote:
> > Hi Luca,
> > I don't know enough about those hosting solutions.
> >

> you can find something here [0]
>
> > From my point of view it would be better to keep the Trac system we are
> currently using as it is also used to maintain the web-site up-to-date and
> with its own design.
>
> +1
>
> > Note that we may make Trac using a git backend rather than a SVN one.
> >

> yes sure
>
> > I noticed on [2] that the Trac project itself is still using the
> Subversion and get up-to-date copy of its source tree in both Git and
> Mercurial repositories.
> >

> interesting
>
> > Maybe we may add a Mercurial repositories as up-to-date copy of the SVN
> source tree. Does anyone would like to take care of setting this up ?
> >

> I'm sorry but I don't know so much about versioning systems and I have
> no time to study them...
>
> > Waiting for your comments,
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Gérald Fenoy