[Zoo-discuss] ZOO translation reloaded >> mainly done in French

Sun Feb 9 14:35:39 PST 2014

Hi,

I've worked some days on the French translation by using po files.
FYI, I have translated all French content except workshops before 2013, the
API parts and the ZOO-Project Committer Guidelines.
You can see the result http://thomasg77.github.io/zoo-project-docs/fr/
and can find the corresponding repo
https://github.com/ThomasG77/zoo-project-docs
So, now, we are able to maintain translation via Transifex if required.
I have some remaining issues like generating French PDF (latex issue) and
making the workflow compatible with Windows.
I also need to update the documentation part to explain how to generate and
update the docs using the proposed workflow. If my contribution is
accepted, we will also need to create a zoo account on Transifex.

Also, I've seen that there were questions about translation e.g
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/zoo-psc/2013-August/000505.html :
1) about how to track the changes >> Not a problem because po tools do it
for you
2) the workflow for translation >>for this case, see propositions below:

The docs in the SVN is at http://www.zoo-project.org/svn/trunk/docs/ and
https://github.com/ThomasG77/zoo-project-docs in my repo

To let the PSC work the usual way (and keep the rules about commit rights)
but making people contribute to the translation, we have different
possibilities:

2.1 We can imagine to sync (one way) the directory *locale *(from
http://www.zoo-project.org/svn/trunk/docs/locale if my contribution is
integrated in the current trunk) to a Github official Zoo organization
account. After, we can sync Github with Transifex because it's quite easy
now with Transifex client (see
http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html#using-transifex-service-for-team-translation
)
Sometimes, we will submit to a designated PSC member the translated content
(so from the official Github account). We need to have a schedule or it can
be on demand. It can be automated but we might have issues if we don't
review content before submitting translations.

2.2 An alternative can also be to make a separate SVN repo for translations
where rights are not restricted to PSC members.
In this case, we can upload the pot files (po files model for translations)
to Transifex from SVN and people allowed can commit in this new created SVN
repo.

Thanks for your feedback about those propositions

Cheers

Thomas Gratier