Meeting tonight (directions and topics)

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon Apr 10 04:04:56 EDT 2006

Just to recap (as some people have joined the list since the announcement).

Time:
- Monday (today) at 5:30 pm

The site is here:
- http://www.csir.co.za/websource/ptl0002/images/corporate/map_pretoria.gif

The meeting will be in building 43a, another map is attached to this
message for the building.

Covering the following topics:
- Intro to GIS, why it is fun!
- Overview of Java Open Source GIS
- Demo of GeoServer and MapBuilder (web based GIS)
- Intro to Eclipse RCP - why it is a platform rather then a framework
- Demo of uDig
- Future RnD - playing with large data - GTXML

Given initial interest I will spend some more time on the Eclipse RCP.

For those on the africa at mail.osgeo.org list I will be available for
questions on:
- Standards OGC and ISO
- Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- How an Open Source community functions, and what is needed to support one

If people are not going home and the beer has run out:
- mad metadta plan: applying the extensible interface pattern to handle
interoperability in a strongly typed language (Java)
- feature mode: what it means for you and how we will handle GML3.1.1

Cheers,
Jody