[OSGeo Africa] OSGeo

Paul Scott pscott at uwc.ac.za
Thu Jul 20 06:22:07 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 11:43 +0200, Gaby van Wyk wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Primarily the South Africans amongst us - please comment....
>
> Some of you may have seen the suggestion from Gavin to make a bid to
> host the OSGeo conference here in RSA in 2007/8. I like the idea, but
> at the end of the day it would be up to us as a community to drive it.
> From GISSA's side we are positive about it, but, I would like to hear
> from you all - can we again count on everyone's involvement?

Sure, you can count me in! I would also like to take the opportunity to
try and leverage some additional support for FOSS development in the GIS
arena using the site at http://fsiu.uwc.ac.za/gis/ I know that I have
not had a lot of time recently to deliver on that site and build the
community, but already, from site stats, I see that there has been over
580MB content uploaded from a total of 7 different countries. This is a
very valuable resource if it is allowed to grow...

UbuntuGIS wise, I will take some time out as soon as I can to update the
distro. I was focusing more on a Creative Commons BY-SA licenced data
repository as well. I think that that, in conjunction with the tools, is
incredibly important. Its kind of like giving a Ferrari to someone that
has no access to petrol, the data being the petrol!

--Paul