[OSGeo Africa] open source GIS CD

Kate Lance klance_remote at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 05:57:22 EDT 2006

http://193.43.36.138/
  GeoNetwork CD
  The CD contains besides the GeoNetwork opensource software a wide range of other Free and Open Source Software for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X of interest to the geospatial community (GeoServer, MapServer, gvSIG, uDig,QGIS, GRASS, MapBuilder, MapLab, ka-map and PostGIS).

Gavin Fleming <GavinF at mintek.co.za> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Hi al

  Have any of you worked on or do you know about a good CD of OS GIS resources that you’d recommend for distribution? Or, are you keen to help develop one that we could all use?

  I’m aware of a few CDs: FreeGIS, UbuntiGIS, KnoppixGIS and a local compilation by Agileworks. What do you think of these?

  What I’m after is something like the following, to promote and facilitate the availability and use of GIS in Africa:

  - simple interface to contents, perhaps html-browser driven.
  - collection of recent, stable, popular/good OS GIS software binaries for multiple platforms (min Windows and Linux). A complete suite from desktop to spatial DB to web map server to analysis to image processing to develop tools and libraries, etc.
  - compilation or pointers to support material for installation and configuration
  - a collection of free data
  - a collection of metadata, available through metadata software like GeoNetwork desktop.
  - standalone, but with extra resources that can be obtained if you have a network connection. Many users will not be online.
  - Nice to have: multilingual
  - not a once-off – this can be a resource that we can update over time.
  - everything as standards-compliant as possible
  - the whole thing released under open content / open source licences

  I‘d appreciate any comments, offers of assistance or suggestions for other content or good ideas for setting it up.

  thanks

  Gavin Fleming
  GISSA Open Source SIG

  Sustainable Development Researcher
  Mintek
  w: +27-11-709-4668
  c: 0845965680
  f: 0866164820
  xmpp (Jabber, Google Talk, etc.): gavinjfleming at gmail.com
  postal: P/Bag X3015, Randburg, 2125
  physical: 200 Hans Strijdom Drive, Randburg
  South Africa
  27.9782E 26.0896S

http://mail.yahoo.com