[Africa] Google Maps Mashups ... software patents

Kim Tucker ktucker at csir.co.za
Tue Jan 9 07:28:28 EST 2007

Hi all,

Amazing what people are doing:
http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/

Regarding software patents, the following link might be of interest:

http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

and RMS's essay in: http://www.gnu.org/doc/book13.html (download the
PDF).

Have a gr8 year :-)

Kim

-------------------------
 50 Things to do with Google Maps Mashups (from the blog link above)

Back for an encore are two posts which generated a huge amount of
interest in 2006. I put together two posts which listed 25 things you
can do with Google Maps mashups. I wanted to prove, with these lists,
that these newly introduced mapping applications can be useful in your
everyday life. I've put these two posts together to make the following
list:

1. Measure your run route or commute
2. Check the time in a world location
3. Look up a US zip code
4. Measure Area
5. Make your own Google Map out of any map
6. Map your photos
7. Check what's on the other side of the world
8. Find a person in the US
9. Check the weather anywhere
10. Find the nearest Starbucks
11. Discover an eBay real estate deal
12. Find airport parking in the US.. or the UK
13. Create a running route
14. Watch a travel video
15. Find Fast Food in the US
16. Buy beer in Ontario
17. Check the news for your zip code
18. Avoid disease outbreak
19. Beat traffic
20. Make your own Google Maps mashup
21. Avoid red light cameras
22. Find cheap gas
23. Check sunrise or sunset times
24. Convert currency
25. Find a place to live in the US
26. Find out where the daylight is right now
27. Find a ski resort anywhere in the world
28. Track a flight on Google Maps
29. Calculate the distance between two world airports
30. Find the elevation/height above sea level
31. Map the 7 Wonders of the World
32. Find a golf course anywhere in the world
33. Click anywhere and get travel info
34. Simulate a flood to show damage effects
35. Fly a plane
36. Search Google Maps in full screen
37. Find a world webcam
38. Find a US or Canadian Library
39. Find a world port
40. Map the fish in your tank
41. Find high risk areas for modern marine pirates
42. Find a world dive site
43. Map Wikipedia articles to their location
44. See where UFOs have been sighted
45. Pray in the direction of Mecca
46. Search eBay items by US zip code
47. Map flight turbulence and pollution
48. Plan a London tube journey
49. Calculate cab fare in New York City
50. Map movie filming locations - US and Canada

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions

CallCentre at csir.co.za.