[OSGeo Africa] [Sdi-ea] The outline of a plan?

Mick Wilson Mick.Wilson at unep.org
Mon Mar 19 04:59:23 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues

Please have a look at
http://sdi-ea.blogspot.com/2007/03/first-round-responses-and-emerging-plan.html
    -  it's my response to a Kenyan colleague that outlines one possible
set steps to getting SDI-EA moving forward, and I'd really appreciate your
taking the time to check it and comment as appropriate.

Cheers

Mick Wilson
Division of Early Warning and Assessment (DEWA)
United Nations Environment Programme
PO Box 30552 -  Nairobi 00100, Kenya
Tel: +254 20 7623436
Fax: +254 20 7624315
Email: mick.wilson at unep.org
Web www.unep.net, www.unep.org

----- Forwarded by Mick Wilson/UNEP/NBO/UNO on 03/19/2007 10:48 AM -----

             Nyoike.Mugechi at ba
             mburi.lafarge.com
             03/19/2007 10:30          Mick.Wilson at unep.org

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Invitation for Expession of
                                       Interest to participate in an East
                                       African SDI Mashup

Yes, go on and forward.

Mathew

   Mick Wilson
   <Mick.Wilson at unep.org>
                          To:        Nyoike.Mugechi at bamburi.lafarge.com
   03/19/2007 10:09 AM            cc:
                                  Subject:        Re: Invitation for
                          Expession of Interest to participate in an East
                          African SDI Mashup

Thank you for your support. At this stage there are neither dates nor
venues for any meetings. My  plan is, initially, to survey the field and
see who's interested in contributing and, as far as possible, get some
organization going without disrupting too much people day-to-day. We are a
net-enabled group and I think we can get some momentum going without
waiting for physical meetings.

Already, in a matter of days, we have offers between agencies to help with
some swapping of basic skill slike setting up OGC web feature services.
Call this phase zero, out of which comes a sort of directory of "who's who
in East Africa SDI stuff" and at least an initial indicator of what their
capabilities and/or needs might be. This is however just a proposal and I'm
open to suggestions how better to proceed

Once past phase 0 then would be the time perhaps for some more "formal"
structure. We the UN gang have an obligation and capabilities to start
getting our own house in order but we don't have the assets or mandate to
attempt to solve all the problems this exercise uncovers. What we can do,
however, is get organized with "clusters" of our neighbours - for example,
UNEP with the conservation community, wildlife management and NGOs like
Green Belt Movement; UN-Habitat with civil society and social equity NGOs -
and try to use scanty UN assets to boost local capabilities. Call that
phase 1, and that is probably the point where some "real" meeting would
yield some real results and give the local players a chance to meet each
other and the UN gang. This plausibly could happen in a couple of months'
time, before everyone disappears for the northern summer.

Would you mind if I copied this response to the SDI-EA list?

PS Via which did you get the invitation? Where possible I want to drop the
"list of lists" approach and get individuals registered so we can do our
laundry within the community and reserving announcments to more public
lists for when really neat things. It'll also make it easier for you to
respond directly to the list without relying on me.

Email: mick.wilson at unep.org
Web www.unep.net, www.unep.org

            Nyoike.Mugechi at ba
            mburi.lafarge.com
            03/19/2007 08:06          mick.wilson at unep.org
            AM                                                         cc

                                                                  Subject
                                      Invitation for Expession of
                                      Interest to participate in an East
                                      African SDI Mashup

Hello Wilson,
On above subject, please give dates and venue of the meetings. Am at
Bamburi cement, Lafarge eco system at Mombasa. Your proposal is valid and
we need to put our energies together.

Mathew

"This e-mail is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute,
disclose or use the information it contains.
Please e-mail the sender immediately and delete this message from your
system.
E-mails are susceptible to corruption, interception and unauthorised
amendment; we do not accept liability for any such changes, or for their
consequences.
You should be aware, that the company  may monitor your emails and their
content"