[OSGeo Africa] GIS teacher / student workbook development

Kim Tucker KTucker at csir.co.za
Tue Jul 8 16:35:01 EDT 2008

Hi all,

For pioneers of peer production in education (again):

I recently participated in an exercise to develop an Open Educational Resource on WikiEducator: OER Minihandbook for Educators:

http://wikieducator.org/OER_Handbook/educator

Currently a "snapshot" is being taken for a print version.

Perhaps consider doing something similar.

The aim of projects like WikiEducator is to try to get the level of "peer production" we see in Wikipedia into open educational resources.

The benefit of the approach is to have a community of educators and learners commenting and contributing during development of the learning resource and improving it through use.

When done (or any time), feel free to add links to one or more of the following sites as appropriate:

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Portal:Geography

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Portal:FLOSS4Science/Page3

http://wikieducator.org/Thutong/Training_resources

The other advantage is being able to build on previous work and adapt it for local learners:

http://cnx.org/content/m15128/latest/ (<-- Introduction to QGIS - e.g. adapt this SA learners )

To learn how to do this on WikiEducator (or WikiVersity):

http://wikieducator.org/Learning4Content - a two week, 30 minutes per day course online + e-mail.

Cost: in exchange for useful learning resources you build during the course.

Have fun thinking about this and how to incentivise contributors :-).

PS About "peer production":

http://www.benkler.org/CoasesPenguin.html
and
http://www.benkler.org/wealth_of_networks/index.php/Main_Page