[OSGeo Africa] FW: [OSGeo-Discuss] Announcing the release of Quantum GIS version 0.11.0

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Thu Jul 24 03:15:01 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of maning sambale
Sent: 22 July 2008 03:53 AM
To: discuss at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [OSGeo-Discuss] Announcing the release of Quantum GIS version
0.11.0

It is our great pleasure to announce the immediate availability of
Quantum GIS (QGIS) Version 0.11.0. See below for press release:

Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source Geographic
Information System (GIS) that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and
Windows. QGIS supports vector, raster, and database formats. QGIS is
licensed under the GNU General Public License. QGIS lets you browse
and create map data on your computer. It supports many common spatial
data formats (e.g. ESRI ShapeFile, geotiff). QGIS supports plugins to
do things like display tracks from your GPS. QGIS is Open Source
software and its free of cost. We welcome contributions from our user
community in the form of code contributions, bug fixes, bug reports,
contributed documentation, advocacy and supporting other users on our
mailing lists and forums. Financial contributions  are also welcome.
This release introduces several new features including python support
and many new GRASS modules. The release also includes numerous bug
fixes and stability improvements. QGIS is available is source form,
and as binary executables for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and
GNU/Linux. All versions can be obtained from our download page at
http://download.qgis.org . As an open source project, we provide
support for using QGIS via our mailing lists and bug tracker:

    * For general inquiries subscribe to our users mailing list at
    * For developer related inquiries subscribe to our separate
developers list at
    * If you think you have found a bug, please report it using our
bug tracker. When reporting bugs, please include some contact
information in case we need help with replicating your issue at
https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis

Major changes in this release are:
 * over 60 bug fixes
 * legend improvements
 * revision of toolbars and dialogs for consistency improved usability
 * extended QML style support
 * automated generation of projection information in srs.db
 * improved view and filter for GRASS toolbox
 * support for Qt4.2.x discontinued
 * separation of python support into its own library

QGIS is a completely volunteer driven project, and is the work of a
dedicated team of developers, documenters and supporters. We extend
our thanks and gratitude for the  many, many hours people have
contributed to make this release happen.

The visual changelog will be published at http://blog.qgis.org/
shortly - visit that page for more for details.

cheers,

Maning Sambale
QGIS Release Team
www.qgis.org