[OSGeo Africa] GIS teacher / student workbook development

Intengu Technologies sindile.bidla at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 04:00:56 EDT 2008

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your response and please note that the closing date has been
extended to 20th June 2008.

Regards,

Sindile Bidla
Deputy Director: Spatial Information Services
Chief Directorate: Spatial Planning & Information
Tel: 0437220536
Cell: 0823024393
Fax: 0437220551
email: sxjbidla at dla.gov.za

Shared Services Centre
Ocean Terrace Park - Block H 2nd Floor
Off Moore Street
Quigney, East London,5200

2008/6/10 Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>:

> Hi Sindile
>
> As one of the co-authors of QGIS, I am very pleased to see you are
> using QGIS in your school education programme. I have downloaded the
> geography course guideline from
>
> http://www.education.gov.za/Curriculum/SUBSTATEMENTS/Geography.pdf
>
> And will examine it more closely over the next few days in order to
> get a better feel for your requirements. I recently completed work
> with the founder of QGIS (Gary Sherman) where we created a customised
> (simplified) version of QGIS for use in K-12 education programme in
> schools in Alaska, USA. The work was under contract to the University
> of Alaska, Fairbanks.
> (http://www.institutenorth.org/servlet/content/geography_curriculum.html).
>
> I would be most delighted if you would give me an opportunity to
> support the work you are doing in developing a GIS curriculum for K-12
> students in South Africa. I believe I am well placed to do this,
> having in depth development experience of QGIS, experience in
> developing K-12 educational products based on QGIS, and a strong
> interest in seeing QGIS and open source software becoming part of the
> skills and capabilities of young South Africans.
>
> I am currently based in Cape Town, and would be delighted to make a
> presentation at your convenience.
>
> Best regards
>
> --
> Tim Sutton
> QGIS Project Steering Committee Member - Release Manager
> Visit http://qgis.org for a great open source GIS
> openModeller Desktop Developer
> Visit http://openModeller.sf.net for a great open source ecological
> niche modelling tool
> Home Page: http://tim.linfiniti.com
> Skype: timlinux
> Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
>
> 2008/6/9 Intengu Technologies <sindile.bidla at gmail.com>:
> > Dear List Members
> >
> > Suitably qualified South African companies or individuals in developing
> > learning material and GIS are requested to provide a proposal and a
> > quotation on the development of a manual or workbook in support of the
> GIS
> > In Schools programme.
> >
> > GIS has become part of the geography schools curricula for grades 10 -12
> as
> > indicated in the National Curriculum Statement.  Additional information
> on
> > the geography curricula (Grades 10 - 12) can be found from this address
> > http://www.education.gov.za/Curriculum/Curriculum.asp
> >
> > Please note that the manual / workbook would need to target:
> > 1. teachers
> > 2. learners
> > 3. access to computers
> > 4. no access to computers
> >
> > An open source software package will be used (currently we have been
> > providing training on QGIS).
> >
> > Copyright of all work done would either be to the State or under Creative
> > Commons.

> [...]

Sindile Bidla