[OSGeo Africa] GIS teacher / student workbook development

Intengu Technologies sindile.bidla at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 03:45:34 EDT 2008

Dear Trevor

Please be advised that the closing date has been extended to Friday 20th
June 2008.  Hoping to get very exciting and innovative proposals.

The Department of Land Affairs has been assisting the Department of
Education with respect to GIS in schools, since GIS has become part of the
school curricula.  Most of the teachers have no exposure to GIS and as such
we are assisting in building capacity.

As indicated in the email the Department of Land Affairs together with the
Office of the Premier (Eastern Cape) and Department of Education (Eastern
Cape) having been conducting training on GIS and using QGIS as a software
tool.  We would like to strengthen our training by having proper training
materials, one of the tools we would like to use Open Source Software and
also the training material should also take cognizance of the fact that a
majority of our schools do not have computers.

Further information on Geography as a subject can be found here
http://www.education.gov.za/Curriculum/Curriculum.asp

Hoping the information above is adequate.

Regards

Sindile Bidla
Deputy Director: Spatial Information Services
Chief Directorate: Spatial Planning & Information
Tel: 0437220536
Cell: 0823024393
Fax: 0437220551
email: sxjbidla at dla.gov.za