[OSGeo Africa] SRID

Gavin Fleming GavinF at mintek.co.za
Tue Feb 17 08:14:16 EST 2009

In PostGIS: SELECT * FROM spatial_ref_sys;

The only problem is, for SA projections like the LOs on Hartebeesthoek
datum, proj4 can't handle a south-facing projection (yet) and be aware
in PostGIS that while their EPSG codes are defined properly, the
matching proj4 strings are undefined (at 1.2 at any rate).

I have some LO 27 data in PostGIS that QGIS and uDIG couldn't project,
yet GeoServer did. For the South African EPSG LO definitions to apply
though, you have to swap your x and y signs (though not the axes).

A workaround in South Africa is to use normal Transverse Mercator on
Hartebeesthoek and standardise the axes and signs (i.e. make them look
conventional like the rest of the world) - then just define your own
EPSG (and proj4) code and add a record to PostGIS.

Here's an Albers one I use a lot:

srid,auth_name,auth_srid,srtext,proj4text
40000,EPSG,40000,PROJCS["South Africa Albers Equal Area
24",GEOGCS["GCS_Hartebeesthoek_1994",DATUM["D_Hartebeesthoek_1994",SPHER
OID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["D
egree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Albers"],PARAMETER["False_Eastin
g",0.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",24.
0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",-18.0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_2
",-32.0],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",0.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]],+proj=ae
a +lat_1=-18 +lat_2=-32 +lat_0=0 +lon_0=24 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=WGS84
+units=m +no_defs

Gavin