[OSGeo Africa] RE: Google maps API - whats legal?

Jeremiah Kamau kamaujeremiah at google.com
Wed Aug 25 02:41:49 EDT 2010

Hi Grant,

Indeed your right. But only one line of confusion -does Google automatically
acquire data once you put it up on an API? Answer is no, any data Google
acquires has to be licensed before we have any perpetual rights to it:
http://www.google.com/support/mapcontentpartners/ (I believe section 11.1
refers to such). Hence if this is not the case, its ok to put it up on a
webpage (though this may indeed be indexed by Google's robots and thus
search-able - though you can opt out as shown in the statements). Giving a
practical (not legal) explanation :).

Cheers

On 24 August 2010 17:53, Grant Slater <openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:

> On 24 August 2010 15:16, Jeremiah Kamau <kamaujeremiah at google.com> wrote:
> >
> > From what I understand:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > In any case, Google does not get your data hence it is not search-able on
> Google Maps or even Google Search - no need to worry about this. Feel free
> to go ahead and use the service.
>
> No, I believe you are mistaken. Google is granted rights to use the
> data including specifically search. See section 11.1 of the Terms of
> Service: http://code.google.com/apis/maps/terms.html
> -----
> Licenses from You to Google:
> Content License. Google claims no ownership over Your Content, and you
> retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Your
> Content. By submitting, posting or displaying Your Content in the
> Service, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide,
> royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify,
> translate, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute Your
> Content through the Service and as search results through Google
> Services. This license is solely for the purpose of enabling Google to
> operate the Service, to promote the Service (including through public
> presentations), and to index and serve such content as search results
> through Google Services. If you are unable or unwilling to provide
> such a license to Your Content, please see the FAQ for information on
> configuring your Maps API Implementation to opt out.
> -----
>
> Also there is a restriction on displaying live tracking information on
> the map. See section 10.9.
>
> Regards
>  Grant

Jeremiah Kamau | Google |

o: +254 20 3601000 | m: +254727461832 | maps.google.co.ke

Subscribe to Google Africa Blog - http://google-africa.blogspot.com/ |
Mapping Africa together with you - www.google.com/mapmaker