[OSGeo Africa] Open Source alternative to IDL - training in South Africa

Wesley Roberts WRoberts at csir.co.za
Wed Mar 17 03:26:19 EDT 2010

Dear OSGEO,

Perhaps someone on the list can help, I am looking for an alternative to IDL, specifically for Remote Sensing image processing and related GIS activities. Python and R (R for statistical computing) are freely available tools but I am yet to find any training courses focussing on their applications in RS and GIS.

If anyone on this list knows of an individual / organisation that can provide on site training tailored specifically to OS remote sensing image processing and data analysis I would greatly appreciate their contact details.

Many thanks and looking forward to your response

Wesley Roberts

Wesley Roberts MSc.
Researcher: Earth Observation
Natural Resources & the Environment (NRE)
CSIR
Tel: +27 (0)21 888-2490
Fax: +27 (0)21 888-2693
"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."
- Chinese proverb