[OSGeo Africa] QGIS and PostGIS courses coming up in Western Cape AND GAUTENG

Gavin gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 05:30:13 EDT 2011

Dear all

The following Introductory Quantum GIS and PostGIS courses are coming
up, offered by AfriSpatial through the FOSS GIS Academy. We have added a
Gauteng course due to numerous requests:

Cape Town/ Winelands area

QGIS 23-25 May.
PostGIS 26-27 May.

To confirm Western Cape courses please pay or provide an order before 6
May.

        Why not tag onto AfricaGeo, which takes place the week after
        this course?

Pretoria/ Johannesburg area

QGIS 27-29 June.
PostGIS 30 June - 1 July.

To confirm Gauteng courses please pay or provide an order before 4 June.

Venue: Venues to be decided based on attendee locations.

Prices:
QGIS only: R3000
PostGIS only: R2000
QGIS + PostGIS: R5000
VAT is not applicable to prices.

Cost includes course materials, a DVD with software and data and a
certificate of attendance.

Cost excludes catering and computers.

NB: Bring your own laptop, you'll do the course on your own computer.
You'll leave with QGIS and other FOSS GIS software set up and working on
your computer.

Register here and we will send you a (pro-forma) invoice.

Course overview

This is an introductory-level course. So if you are new to GIS, new to
FOSS GIS or are experienced in other GIS software and want to find out
how to do your work in Quantum GIS, this course is for you.

Quantum GIS (QGIS) is the ideal professional desktop GIS for any
application.

Our aim is to make you comfortable with FOSS GIS tools for your day to
day GIS work. Quantum GIS provides a compelling alternative to
proprietary GIS in many situations. We will start by installing QGIS,
then take you through the workflow of loading data from disparate
sources, creating data from scratch, data analysis and producing a
professional map suitable for delivery to a decision maker. We will also
take a look at some of the many plugins available for QGIS and touch on
the use of GRASS within QGIS. Lastly we will look at how QGIS can be
integrated into a multi-user enterprise environment by using it as a web
services and geospatial database client.

PostGIS is a spatial database that is more than just a spatial data
store. Users, web map servers and other applications can all run off the
same database. And beware! Doing spatial analysis in PostGIS can become
addictive.

The PostGIS 'extra' is a little more advanced than QGIS but is beginner
to intermediate as far as PostGIS goes. We will cover installing
PostgreSQL and PostGIS, loading data, performing spatial queries, doing
spatial analysis with SQL and using PostGIS with QGIS.

--
regards

Gavin

Gavin Fleming