[OSGeo Africa] 2 FOSS Linux / developer / GIS jobs in Joburg

Steve ehrman.steven at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 10:08:01 EST 2011

Hi Gavin and Bridget

First thanks for these links I will first need to become familiar with the
GIS programmes, budget permitting.
I trust that you guys had a good Christmas and a wonderful new year, I pray
that 2011 is a really blessed one for you.
The geography department at Stellenbosch runs an ARC GIS course one can find
it on the web it looks quite comprehensive and one is issued with a Plato
certification after that, which is useful when applying for positions
requiring it.. However speaking to Andrew Turner from cape nature he
suggested that knowing QGIS is also helpful because they use both. Between
now and October I will be fairly flat out with finishing this course. Then I
am keen to do the GIS courses that are a requirement of many positions. The
jobs on the links are still out of my league, but I¹m sure with time I¹ll
get there.

What is the basis of most of these type of GIS /linux type programes, C++,
Java, what would be helpful in understanding these programŒs better.
In the mean time I¹ll need to complete my proposal shortly.
Thanks for keeping me posted, look forward to seeing you guys at some stage.
Regards
Steve