[OSGeo Africa] Web Hosting

Gavin gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Tue May 10 07:05:57 EDT 2011

Hi Sarel

I have had experience with Hetzner in Germany and DataPro in Cape Town.
Hetzner with dedicated servers and DataPro with a clients' own servers.

Offshore hosting has the advantage of negligible bandwidth costs.

I have come across a couple of North American services that cover the
mapserver and postgis part of your stack, not sure about the MS
though.

I have generally done full management along with Tim Sutton (Linfiniti)
or directly with my clients on the following stack:

Ubuntu server
PostgreSQL/PostGIS
MapServer/Mapnik/GeoServer/QGIS map server
Python (mainly Django)/php(a little)

A few of us (AfriSpatial and Linfiniti so far that I know of) are
offering / keen to offer hosting solutions on more or less the above
stack so please continue the discussion on or off list. These would most
likely be VPS or shared servers.

It would also be interesting to see your results if you're planning to
share them.

Gavin

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 12:18 +0200, Sarel Coetzer wrote:
> Hi There
>
> I am currently documenting and listing hosting solutions in (Africa or
> European) that caters/supports the following stack:
>
> Stack:
> OS: MS 2008 R2
> Mapserver
> PostgreSQL
> PostGIS
> PHP
>

> I am interested in VPS, shared or dedicated servers.I would like to
> know your experience with the hosting source aswell. Any info will be
> great.
>
> Your assistance will be appreciated
>
> Regards
> Sarel Coetzer | GIS Developer