[OSGeo Africa] Web Hosting

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Wed May 11 07:04:30 EDT 2011

Hi Tim,
> There are hundreds more good reasons, I could go on all day, but I
> will leave you with this last gem:
>
> - Almost every FOSSGIS project's developement effort that I am aware
> of happens principally on linux. When things go wrong developers are
> much more amenable to helping because the are on 'home turf'. Speaking
> personally, if someone reports a QGIS problem on windows, I usually
> groan inside and have to be really motivated to dig out a mothballed
> windows xp virtual machine to look at the problem....

  I think It is a bit harsh :) I agree that most developers are on Linux
for OSGeo projects but at the same time all mature projects have been
working on both Windows and Linux (and mac) machines for years and that
is one of their strength.
I can definitely speak for MapServer as a developer that the windows
version is well supported and works as well as any platform. It has been
used for years in production environment through MS4W
(http://maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml)  which  has about 3000 downloads
a month.

I don't strongly feel one way or the other about deploying OSGeo tools
on Linux or Windows. I believe people should deploy it on the
environment of their choice. As OSGeo developers, I think we should make
sure that the tools work as advertised on all platforms.

regards,

Assefa

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst