[OSGeo Africa] Request for assistance with OPENGIS Studies

Gavin gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:56:57 EST 2011

Hi Willem

> I am seeking assistance from any OpenGIS developer who is willing to
> help me with GIS studies on WMS.  Specific topics are:
>      1. GML Coding

Do you need to 'hand-roll' GML or simply generate it by, for example,
exporting a shapefile from QGIS or PostGIS as GML? Or consume or
generate GML through a web service? Please provide more detail.

>      1. GML Application Schema

Do you need to apply an existing application schema or are you
developing one? Again, more detail please.

>      1. Web Feature Service

What about WFS do you need to know? Most web map servers support WFS.
What is it you need to do with it?

>      1. Sample SLD element

Here's a whole SLD document that renders empty polygons with red borders
and switches them off when you're zoomed in closer than 1:50000. The SLD
specification itself from the OGC website is a good resource. Some nice
tools to generate SLD include uDIG, Atlas Styler, OpenGeo Styler, QGIS
SLD plugin and an ArcGIS SLD extension.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<sld:StyledLayerDescriptor xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/sld"
xmlns:sld="http://www.opengis.net/sld"
xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc"
xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml" version="1.0.0">
    <sld:UserLayer>
        <sld:LayerFeatureConstraints>
            <sld:FeatureTypeConstraint/>
        </sld:LayerFeatureConstraints>
        <sld:UserStyle>
            <sld:Name>Default Styler</sld:Name>
            <sld:Title/>
            <sld:IsDefault>1</sld:IsDefault>
            <sld:FeatureTypeStyle>
                <sld:Name>simple</sld:Name>
                <sld:FeatureTypeName>Feature</sld:FeatureTypeName>

  <sld:SemanticTypeIdentifier>generic:geometry</sld:SemanticTypeIdentifier>

  <sld:SemanticTypeIdentifier>simple</sld:SemanticTypeIdentifier>
                <sld:Rule>
                  <MinScaleDenominator>50000</MinScaleDenominator>
                    <sld:PolygonSymbolizer>
                        <sld:Stroke>
                            <sld:CssParameter
name="stroke">#F35C1C</sld:CssParameter>
                        </sld:Stroke>
                    </sld:PolygonSymbolizer>
                </sld:Rule>
            </sld:FeatureTypeStyle>
        </sld:UserStyle>
    </sld:UserLayer>
</sld:StyledLayerDescriptor>

Gavin

> It should be simple tasks for an OpenGIS developer, but I’m really
> stuck!  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>

> Many thanks,
>

> Willem Richter

Gavin Fleming
t: 0218620670