[OSGeo Africa] Land cover data sets for RSA and Western Cape Province

Heidi Van Deventer HvDeventer at csir.co.za
Wed Nov 28 22:35:02 PST 2012

Dear Tsitsi,

for South Africa in general there are three institutions with a land cover data set:

1. The ARC ISCW vendors the National Land Cover data set of 2000 (NLC2000). You can enquire about this from Elna van den Berg <VDBergEC at arc.agric.za>. I think it is in total 5 disks - DVDs and CDs combined.

2. Provincial data sets are available for some provinces from GeoTerraImage (GTI), enquire with Mark Thompson (mark.thompson at geoterraimage.com).

3. An NLC2009 data set can be downloaded from SANBI at http://bgis.sanbi.org/landcover/project.asp. It combines NLC2000 with provincial data sets at primarily level categories, as well as some additional data sets.

See which data set offers you what you want.

Kind regards,
Heidi

>>> Tsitsi Bangira <trbangie2000 at yahoo.co.uk> 28/11/2012 17:42 >>>
Dear all,

Thank you for the information but still didnt get what I want. I really want  land use and land cover with some classes like water, urban area, cultivation not only different types of forestry. I tried to do unsupervised classification with landsa 4-5 TM images in erdas and envi but its not good. Unfortunately, I cant do supervised classification because I dont have ground control points.

I need help please

Regards,

Tsitsi

Bangira Tsitsi
University of Twente
Department of Water Resource and Environmental Management
ITC, Faculty of Geo- Information Science and Earth Observation
7514 AE Box 361, Enschede, The Netherlands
Mobile: +31(0)684047667

e-mail: bangira26638 at itc.nl